About


Lauren McEntee, 21. I blog about beauty, fashion, lifestyle and more! My passions are dance, makeup, clothes, television and film, food and cats.

Social



Lolocola
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday 28 July 2016

July Favourites (and a little catch up!)

Well...

This is the first time I've sat down to write a blog post since October!  I might write another post sometime soon explaining why I took such a long and unplanned break, but I don't really feel like getting into all of that tonight...  So let's just get straight into everything I've been loving this month!

Sidenote: Since I've last posted I have decided to try to buy cosmetics only from brands that do not test on animals, or sell their products in China (where animal testing is currently required by law).  Again, I plan on writing a more in depth blog post about why I have made this decision and why I have only made it recently, but from now on all cosmetic products featured on this blog will be cruelty free unless otherwise stated (for example, if it is a product that I bought before and haven't used up yet).  If I write about a brand (in this post or future posts) that I believe to be cruelty free but you have information that says otherwise, please let me know in the comments!


Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation



Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation

I've become obsessed with Charlotte Tilbury products recently.  They're pretty expensive but everything I've tried so far has been amazing quality and well worth the splurge.  The Light Wonder Foundation however is actually relatively inexpensive.  It's €42 for 40ml of product.  For comparison, Nars Sheer Glow (one of my other favourite foundations) will set you back €41 for only 30ml of foundation and MAC Mineralize Moisture SPF15 Foundation costs €39 for 30ml.

This foundation is perfect for summer.  I would say the coverage is light but buildable.  It feels weightless on the skin and contains SPF15 (I use an SPF30 moisturiser underneath for extra protection though, even on dull days).  It leaves my skin looking radiant, healthy and (almost) flawless, without that "caked" look that heavier foundations can often result in.

Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation is available from Brown Thomas or online at charlottetilbury.com 


Charlotte Tilbury "The Sophisticate" Luxury Eyeshadow Palette



Charlotte Tilbury The Sophisticate Eyeshadow Palette

As per usual when it comes to Charlotte Tilbury products, the packaging of this eyeshadow palette is gorgeous.  It's compact and has a good sized mirror so it's perfect for throwing into your handbag.  There is a wide range of colour schemes available but I opted for "The Sophisticate" because all four shades are matte (almost, the two on the right have the tiniest bit of shimmer in them) and neutral tones so it's a palette that I can use everyday, and also for a smokey eye on nights out.  For me, this palette is the most versatile of the collection.  At €50 it's definitely pricey for an eyeshadow quad, but the eyeshadows really are great quality.  I received this as a gift from my boyfriend, I'm not sure if I could have justified spending that much money on just four eyeshadows, but since getting it there hasn't been a day that I haven't used it (bar makeup-free days)!



NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream



NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

I've been wanting to try these out for ages now, and since my local Boots started selling NYX earlier this month it was the perfect excuse to finally buy some!  I picked up "Stockholm", a pinky nude, and "Prague", a bright purple-pink shade.  I have nothing bad to say about this product.  It smells great and dries matte, but doesn't dry out your lips or leave them feeling chalky like some other liquid lipsticks.  The formula really is "creamy", as the name suggests.  It does take a little while to dry but it feels really lightweight and comfortable on the lips, and the colour lasts all day.  I've already fallen in love with these two shades and I can't wait to try some more!

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream is available from Boots, online and in most stores.


"Orange Is The New Black" by Piper Kerman



Orange Is The New Black

"Orange Is The New Black" is one of my all time favourite TV shows.  My boyfriend decided to buy me the book that it's based on for our anniversary because I have re-watched the whole series a few times and I never shut up about it.  "Orange Is The New Black" is the true story of Piper Kerman, who was sent to prison for a crime she committed nearly a decade previously, and her experience in a minimum security women's prison in Connecticut.  Throughout the entire book I felt angry at the prison system of America.  The majority of the people Piper writes about ended up in prison for minor drug related crimes, and due to the fact that there are few programmes dedicated to rehabilitating these prisoners and preparing them to live life on the straight and narrow once their sentences were finished, they were likely to end up re-offending and back in prison within a few months.  It's a vicious cycle.
That said, the tone of the book is upbeat and I laughed out loud a few times while reading it. 

"Orange Is The New Black" is available from Easons or Amazon.


"Stranger Things"



Stranger Things

It seems like everyone is talking about this new Netflix original series.  It's set in the 80's and it has a very "ET" meets "The X Files" meets "The Goonies" vibe, if that makes any sense.  If that sounds like your kind of thing it's definitely worth a watch.  There are only 8 episodes in this season and I loved every minute of it.


"What We Do In The Shadows"



What We Do in the Shadows

It's a mockumentary about vampires living in New Zealand.  It's on Netflix.  It's hilarious.  That's all you need to know, now go watch it and thank me later.  


Google Chromecast


Google Chromecast

Chromecast is similar to Apple TV.  It's a streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV and allows you to stream from apps on your phone or tablet such as Netflix and YouTube, or to mirror any tab you have open in Google Chrome on your computer.  It's only €39 so it's a lot cheaper than an Apple TV and it's really compact and sleek.  I watch the majority of my TV and movies online so this is a really handy gadget for me to have.

Chromecast is available in Currys or online from Google

"Ghostbusters"



Ghostbusters

I'll be honest.  I didn't have high hopes for this movie.  I kind of just went to see it because I felt like I had to, to counteract all of the unfounded hate it's been getting (and also because, Kate McKinnon). 
But I was pleasantly surprised.  It's fun, exciting, and the four Ghostbusters and Chris Hemsworth are hilarious.  And Bill Murray is in it!  Oh, and Kate McKinnon, if I didn't already mention that.
As soon as we left the cinema we were planning when we would see it next.  If you want a fun night out at the cinema, I can't recommend "Ghostbusters" enough.


What have you been loving this month?  Let me know in the comments!


Share to Pinterest

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Search